Search This Blog

Saturday 10 January 2015

Scotland's Industrial Past and Present

Map of Scotland, 1845.
Michael Portillo's Great British Railway Journeys is back with a new series. This week on the programme he visited some industrial sites and we've been treated to some fascinating archive footage of workers. During the second episode he had a ride on the Waverley paddle steamer, and visited the David Livingstone Centre at Blantyre - I was especially interested as I did not realize that the famous missionary was a child worker in a cotton factory. Episode 3 was another treat as Mr Portillo visited a modern steel rolling mill, the Clyde Falls at New Lanark, and explored the Union Canal and the Falkirk Wheel, which I would love to visit one day. Over the next few weeks, I'll be taking a look at some of the fabulous heritage sites I visited last year, but haven't had time to blog about yet, as I'm busy writing Regency Spies.

2 comments:

MacSmith said...

1845 interesting as the year of the Irish, and Scottish, famine caused by the potato blight. Forced lots of people movement and changes in employment.

Sue Wilkes said...

Many thanks for your comment, MacSmith! I believe many of the Irish migrated to Lancashire as well as the USA.