Search This Blog

Wednesday 18 May 2011

New cover for the Children History Forgot!

My publishers Robert Hale have come up with a lovely new cover for The Children History Forgot, which will be released in a few weeks. I think it really sums up the poverty which so many children endured, and which was a prime factor in the prevalence of child labour in Georgian and Victorian times.  Children were expected to earn their keep from an early age, unless they came from an extremely affluent family.

4 comments:

TONY said...

Great cover Sue. It does encapsulate what poverty meant to children on the streets. The whole feel about it.

How do you decide a subject for a book? Where do you get your research information form?

Just curious. I'm not thinking of writing a book myself.

Tony

Sue Wilkes said...

Glad you like the new cover, Tony! Gosh, those are huge questions! The ideas come from my passion for history and immersing myself in the periods I'm most interested in. The tricky bit is making one's ideas marketable and attractive to a publisher - they know best what will sell. I research info for the books chiefly through the library service and archives, but whenever possible I like to visit the places I write about in my books, too - that's really important to help me discover the atmosphere of a place.

TONY said...

Thanks Sue. You have a real passion for what you do. I think it's great.

Tony

Sue Wilkes said...

Thanks very much for your kind comments, Tony! :)