Search This Blog

Tuesday 26 June 2012

A Visitor's Guide to Jane Austen's England!

I am thrilled to announce that I have just signed a new contract with Pen and Sword!  My new book will be a social history of Jane Austen's time. I am so excited about my new project, as I have adored Austen and the Regency era since I was a little girl.

In 'A Visitor's Guide to Jane Austen's England' I will be exploring everyday life for the upper and middle classes from 1775, the year of Austen’s birth, to her death in 1817. Drawing on contemporary diaries, illustrations, letters, novels, travel literature, and so on, I hope to recreate the vanished world inhabited by Austen and her contemporaries: the scents, sights, and sounds of the period.
Discover a lost era of corsets and courtship!

Images:
Lady's Monthly Museum ‘Cabinet of Fashion’ fashion plates for October 1798 – the Moorish Habit and the Fatima Robe.



No comments: