Search This Blog

Saturday 13 November 2010

Epic Journey

I visited The National Archives at Kew on Thursday to do some research for my book on canal ancestors. I had a very interesting visit; the staff were extremely helpful. The Archives are kept in an amazing building. The British transport system rather let me down, however. The train I was booked on for my journey down was cancelled, and some of those coming back were late or cancelled, too. I was on a total of nine trains that day travelling from Cheshire to Kew Gardens and back again, and was exhausted by the time I got home.


Thank you to my family and all the Londoners and fellow travellers who helped a baffled Northerner trying to cope with the complexities of London transport!

Photo: The National Archives, Kew, Richmond © Sue Wilkes

2 comments:

TONY said...

Hi Sue. The archives at Kew are fantastic. Did you have time to look around the gardens?

I'm sorry to hear you had such an awful time getting here and going back up north, by the sounds of it.

The transport system is usually better than that.

Tony

Sue Wilkes said...

Hi Tony, unfortunately I didn't get any time to explore. Although I left home just after half eight in the morning, I didn't reach the archives until nearly two o'clock! I would love to visit again sometime, though.